I must admit I hated asparagus! To my defense I grew up with the stuff out of the can…. if you’ve ever had it I know you hated it too! For those not quite so unfortunate it was pale, mushy, slimy and bland with an awkward taste like nothing Id ever had before or since! Fortunately, I was never required to ‘clean my plate” but always had to take a bite. If you ever had one of these foods cross your pass a child you know the drill; take a deep breathe, pinch your nose, try not to look at it, no chewing just swallow, have glass of water ready to quickly wash down and pray you can hold it down! As an adult the sight of asparagus still turned my stomach so buying it fresh was just not even considered! Not until I was well into my 40’s did I gather the guts to give Asparagus another chance! Lengthy recipe reviews and assurance from those who love the fresh stuff that I would as well gave me the courage to give Asparagus another try. So I took the leap and lo and behold, it was delicious! Mind blown and highly disappointed that I missed out on enjoying this delightful & nutritious spring vegetable for the majority of my adult life! Another lesson in never say never!!
– 2 Tablespoons Butter (I prefer Clarified)
– 8 ounce Button Mushrooms sliced
In large sauté pan add the butter, bring to med high heat, add 8 oz of sliced mushroom, cook until nicely browned, remove from pan reserving any butter in the pan
Next to the pan add:
– 1-2 tablespoon of your favorite cooking oil or butter
– 1-2 lb bundle of fresh Asparagus, rinsed and the bottom 1/4 of the woody stems cut off
– Salt and Pepper to taste (generous pinch of each for me)
Sautee 2-3 minutes, depending on how much crunch you like adjust time accordingly
– Juice 1 Lemon; to the juice add 6 drops of Lemon Vitality and 1 drop Black Pepper Vitality Essential Oil, pour over Asparagus and cover the pan with lid. Simmer for another 2-3 mins, again depending on your preferred level of tenderness
-Remove lid, return mushrooms to the pan and top with 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese, serve on your favorite platter with sliced lemon garnish!